Parents will attend one recruitment event to apply for Head Start, Pre-K4 programs, or Type 3 Learning Centers. Parents can apply for one program or choose to rank their program choices.
2016 Head Start/Pre-K Recruitment Dates
Phoenix High School: February 14, 2017 and March 23, 2017
Boothville-Venice Elementary School: February 21, 2017 and April 5, 2017
South Plaquemines Elementary School: March 15, 2017 and April 20, 2017
Belle Chasse Primary School: March 29, 2017 and April 25, 2017
Head Start Office: April 27, 2017
Required Documentation- only originals accepted.
** New: If parent works less than 40 hours per week, parent MUST bring a letter from their employer indicating how many hours, on average, they work per week. This is required to process your application**
- Proof of Income (choose 1)
- 4 consecutive check stubs for EACH PARENT or CAREGIVER IN THE HOUSEHOLD for the current year (within 2 months from the date of applying) (preferred)
- SNAP benefit letter (must include child's name and valid effective dates)
- An official letter from your employer stating where parent/guardian is employed, the hourly rate of pay, and the average number of hours parent works per week
- Statement from Social Security Administration verifying child is a recipient of SSI benefits AND 2 current check stubs
- Current foster care placement agreement from DCFS
- Notarized letter of support and income documentation from support source if parent is unemployed or homeless
- Child's Birth Certificate
- 3 Proofs of Residency
- Current utilities bills with parent's name and physical address
- Current lease or mortgage statement
- If the parent and child live with a family member or friend, that person must provide verification with a notarized letter plus 2 of the above items.
- Parent or Guardian's Driver's License
- Child's Immunization Records
- Legal or Custody Papers, if applicable
- Child's IEP, if applicable
**Students with disabilities applying to enter Head Start -- please see file below for additional requirements.
Head Start can not accept incomplete packets. If you do not have all of the documents listed above, please call Hollie Williams at 595-6430 and she will help you obtain the documents needed.
Head Start selection procedures are based on Federal Poverty Guidelines. Click here to see the updated 2017 guidelines.
If your income is above the 2017 Federal Poverty Guidelines, there is still a possibility that your child may get into Head Start.